Apply to perform at TEDxTUM
Imaginative performances are an essential part of the TEDxTUM lineup. We are convinced that dynamic, creative experiences help to not only engage the audience but also digest the cognitive load from the talks during the day. This helps to strike a balance between the two sides of the brain and set the mood for the event. TEDx is not only a platform for ideas presented in the form of a talk, but universally embraces all ideas worth spreading.
We review applications on a rolling basis—the earlier we get yours, the better. Application period ends in 0 seconds !
How can you share your art at this event?
Are you an artist or a performer? There are multiple ways for you to be part of TEDxTUM and get your ideas out into the world:
- Share an idea on stage that is best depicted in the form of a short musical act, dance performance, a sneak peek of your personal style of performance art, or any other format which is not a talk, or
- Present your art or music in a more intimate, communal audience interaction between sessions.
We are particularly interested in unique artists, wild genres, surprising combinations of media as well as bringing unconventional instruments to the stage. However, this list isn’t exclusive! We are open to all kinds of passionate artists and performers who want to take the audience on a journey into their world.
The perks of performing at TEDxTUM
Performances on our stage are typically around 10-12 minutes long and will be filmed by a professional team. The resulting video is later featured on the TEDx YouTube channel with over 17 million subscribers, which brings it before a global audience. Some of these videos are selected by the TED team to be included in their community newsletters or featured on TED.com.
In a nutshell, these are the perks of performing at TEDxTUM:
- You get a professional demo video capturing the unique ambience of a short live performance,
- If you are an up-and-coming artist, you get a chance to perform in front of a large, extremely welcoming and supportive audience (which consists of about 500 people at the event venue),
- If you are an experienced artist, this is the perfect setting to try out new concepts in an inspiring environment and expand the reach of a brand new project.
How to apply and what happens afterwards
- Complete the application form below before 18:00 on 28 April.
- Our team will review the applications and we might invite you for an audition. We will want to get to know you better, and we will want to see a shortened, first-draft version of your performance. Auditions take place in June (after 18:00, we will find a date that is convenient for you) at the TUM city center campus, and you will have at least a week to prepare.
- We let you know if we want to showcase your art at TEDxTUM 2019 by the end of June.
- You go on the road to the red circle (see below) and if all goes well, perform at TEDxTUM at the end of November 2019.
What if I am selected for a performance? The road to the red circle
We acknowledge that every artist has their own style of creating inspiring art. We will guide you with our expertise regarding what works within the given setting and for the given audience, but we will not interfere with your creative process.
We will schedule at least one rehearsal before the event to make sure everything goes smoothly on the day of the event. If you choose to explain your art on stage, we will also help you bring across your message in the most impactful and comprehensible way possible.